Saturday, April 21, 2012

Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

Original Image by Stockpiling Moms

My husband seems to be fond of pale dishes made in a crock pot; this was another of his choices, though since I pinned it, I can't exactly blame him for choosing it!  Potatoes, meat, minimal veggies - yeah, it was near the top of his list.  It's definitely "guy food."

We have breakfast for dinner once in a while, and that's when I served this dish, made up in the morning and cooked during the day.  I think this would be great for holidays, especially when mom and dad are up late the night before doing holiday chores and have to serve guests something in the morning; you can put it together and let it cook overnight, while you catch a few precious hours of sleep.

The appeal for my husband was simple; it has both bacon and sausage in it.  This is something he is generally not served.  He gets one or the other at a meal, just like he gets either hash browns or toast.  Unless we're at a restaurant, when I don't do the nagging wife thing and let him get whatever he wants, so long as he doesn't judge me for getting something with mushrooms.  Anyway, the fact that both were required to complete this dish made him grin.  Big time. 

Yeah, not very pretty in the pot actually...
It was easy to throw together.  Pre-cooking the sausage and bacon takes a little time, but that could be done ahead of time and tossed into storage ware in the fridge to keep until you were ready to put this together.  At least, that would be my plan were I to make this for a holiday.

It smelled... well, to be honest, I hate the smell of bacon. Sacrilege, I know.  But I can't help it.  And this smelled a lot like bacon while it was cooking, so I was running the kitchen fan and burning nice-smelling wax tarts and hanging out by a cracked-open window even though it was cold outside.  Be aware that your house will smell like bacon the whole time this is in the crock pot.  My husband came home, breathed deep, and sighed happily.  If you're like him, you'll love it.  As for me, I survived.  Oh the things I do for love.

This wasn't one of my favourite recipes.  It's not particularly special or anything, in my opinion, but my husband rather liked it and anything in the crock pot takes the pressure off come dinner time.  For that, it gets a thumbs-up from me.

But a little better looking on the plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment