Thursday, March 29, 2012

Key Lime Scones

Original Image from Delish Blog

I love scones.  They are so easy to make, and lovely to have around when you're having a friend over for coffee.  They bake up quickly, and don't take many ingredients.  This recipe sparked my interest because I absolutely adore limes of any kind.  And lime anything of any kind. So lime scones?  I was in.

The problem is, I don't keep white sugar in the house any more.  So I have to adjust any recipes I make to my splenda-fied existence.  That's just how it is.  So task number one when making this was to create some powdered/icing/confectioners splenda.  Yes, it is possible, though it works to varying results.  I buzz the splenda in the food processor with a pinch or two of cornstarch until I get the consistency I'm looking for.  It works okay in some dishes, and not at all in others.

The baking of these scones was the easy part.  They were put together in my kitchen aid mixer, which cuts in butter like a champ, before I even had my coffee.  That's an easy recipe for you.  I let the dough rest in the fridge while I showered, then tucked it into the oven before getting dressed for the day.  By the time I was starting the coffee maker, they were on the cooling rack, waiting for the glaze.

That's where things got slightly dicey.

As happens sometimes when I'm working with my faux sugar blend, the glaze was really really runny.  I would suggest if you're going the non-sugar method, to use some extra cornstarch, and/or less lime juice when making your glaze.  I'd say about 75% of the glaze wound up running completely off the scones and onto the counter below.

That's okay, though.  Because they were delicious anyway, and too sweet of a scone can be too much for me in the mornings.  The lime flavour gave these scones enough of a kick that they were far from ordinary.

For me personally, I thought they were slightly salty, but because I don't use much salt in my cooking and baking (only enough to make leavening work and such) I may be oversensitive.  My guest who was over for coffee didn't think they were too salty at all.  When I make these again, I'll probably cut the salt just slightly; the recipe doesn't call for much, but a tiny trim certainly would be in order, at least to suit my palate.

The original of these looks prettier.  With my runnier glaze, I couldn't create lovely lines across my scones.  Instead, it was more thin and similar to the glaze on a donut, or something of the like.  Still, it became slightly crispy on the outside, as all good glazes should, and added a little surprise sweetness to the mix.

Overall, these will be made again in our house.  I can't resist that lime.  They went very very quick in our house too, didn't stick around long enough to get stale!

No comments:

Post a Comment